Wednesday, September 9, 2009

One-dish wonder....


So, fall is just around the corner the crisp air is going to set in, along with cooler weather. This time of year is my absolute FAVORITE season, I have so many reasons why but one of the best is it's time to get out the old crock-pot again! In my opinion the crock-pot is one of the greatest inventions ever created! It has saved me many times when I am in a pinch and it seems that no matter what you put in the thing it cooks perfectly and tastes wonderful...not to mention you don't have to do hardly anything to create a fabulous meal to come home to at the end of the day... Here is one of my favorite "One-dish wonder" recipes


*South-of-the-Border
*Steak and Beans*


1 lb. beef flank steak (you may season your meat)
1 10 oz. can of chopped tomatoes ( I use fresh ones from my garden, for extra flavor)
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon crushed oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 small red and yellow peppers cut into strips
1 can pinto beans, rinsed
3 c. hot cooked rice
salt/pepper to taste


~Place meat in crockery cooker, in bowl stir together tomatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt/pepper. Pour over meat..
~Cover and cook on low-heat for 7-9 hours
~Add sweet pepper strips and pinto beans. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more.
~Remove meat, slice meat across the grain
~Spoon rice into bowls. Arrange meat on top of rice. Spoon bean mixture over meat. If you so desire, sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese and serve with hot bread
And Enjoy!

There is nothing like walking in from a long day and smelling the yummy dinner the amazing crock-pot has done for you... I repeat one of the greatest inventions of all time!

Gotta love the crock!! Bring on Fall....

4 comments:

Codi said...

This sounds delish!!
Umm, it's been far too long since we've all hung out! Can we PLEASE set something up soon?!

Let me know!

Sheri said...

Man you are making me hungry right now! I will have to add this recipe to mine. I have to agree with you! I love this time of year also and I LOVE my crockpot! Thanks for sharing.

Steph said...

Sounds so yummy! I will have to give that a try! I agree..LOVE the crock pot!!

Nesting with Grace said...

when can I come over and try it...ha that really sounds good, but would be AMAZING with a little bubbely of you know what :)