Sunday, July 10, 2011

Best Read Ever.

There have only been 2 books that I have absolutely could not put down. I LOVE it when that happens. This book that I recently read is #3. But in my opinion this tops the list. THE BEST book I have EVER read.
The Title is Messenger. The legacy of Mattie Stepanek. Written by his Mother Jeni Stepanek. A courageous angel sent to earth to make a difference in this world in the short 12 years he was here. And I think that ALL human beings should read it. I do have to warn you it is NOT for the faint of heart. It is absolutely heartbreaking but at the same time you can feel the love, peace and inspiration he expressed. I don't even know how to explain this story. It has touched me deeply. I mean that, his goal was to deliver a message of peace, hope and positivity. To see our glasses half full instead of half empty, I can tell you he succeeded with me. He made me think...DEEPLY.
I heard about the book on Oprah (of course) Mattie the young boy and her had become the closest of friends and was on her show a few times. This family has went through trials beyond anything I could ever imagine. Mattie's mom gave birth to 4 children all who were born very sick, the doctor's could not figure out what was wrong with them. They had a hard time breathing and moving. All three of her children passed away before the age of 4. When his mother was pregnant for the 4th time the doctor's did testing on her and found out that she had Dysautonomic Mitochondrial Myopathy a rare Muscle Disorder that she had passed onto her children and now onto her 4th Mattie, on the way. She was advised by doctors to put her child in an institution and “let nature take its course, so that she wouldn't bond with her child, making it more difficult when he would die”. Jeni his mother was appalled and did just the opposite. She made the very best of every day with her son and in return her son was a light to the world. I have this book marked with quotes, thoughts, and poems that Mattie has said. A few have them will stay with me forever. He battled every step of the way, never feeling sorry for himself or the situation. His mom did the best she could to give him a normal life in everyway possible. They enjoyed traveling together, the beach, sunrises, and of course lots of practical jokes and laughter. Lots and lots of laughter. It was what kept them going on.
One day in particular Jeni said it was too overwhelming and she was just frustrated of not only Mattie's health but her's was now deteriorating quickly. She was now too in a wheelchair. The doctor's had explained to her that her son's trachea had basically nothing left. He is going to cough, laugh or sneeze and it will split, perforate and he would die. Jeni, in complete shock and sadness, all while thinking how in the world to I even explain this to my precious, fragile child Mattie? Working up enough courage and put on a brave face for him she proceeded to tell her little boy what would happen soon.
After explaining this to him, Mattie said to her, “ If you have enough breath to complain about anything, you have more than enough reason to give thanks about something.” Mattie is Unreal.
He was grateful that he did not always live his life in a wheelchair or on oxygen. He was happy that he could remember when he could walk, even swim and achieved a black belt in karate. Happy memories. He said most kids that are born this way never could walk. Never could swim. But he was blessed that he could do a lot if only it was for a short while. He came up with a theory, a life lesson, “Play after every storm” meaning....When there is a trial in your life or something that you think is difficult (a storm) you have to remember to play after...Do something fun or silly. Find the good in the bad.
One of his hero's was Maya Angelou. A famous poet.
Mattie was a fantastic poet himself, and all his books, Heartsongs, made the New York Best Seller list at the tender age of 10. This is one of my favorite poems he had written..
Let our breath be gentle wind,
Let our ears be of those who listen,
Let our hearts be not ones
That rage so quickly and
Thus blow dramatically,
And uselessly.
Let our spirits attend and be
Most diligent to the soft
Yet desperate whisper of
Hope and peace for our world.
He was such a happy boy. Never once did he complain, ask why he had to go through this, or feel sorry for himself. Always thinking of others and their condition. His mom didn't have much money, it was a constant struggle. One day after a horrific episode at the hospital he asked if they could stop and get something to eat, his stomach hurt. She said she only had $7 with her that day and she had to pay for parking but what they had left over she would buy something for him. On there way to the car he saw a father and 3 young children in the hospital garage. His one child was very sick as well. He had lost there parking ticket and had to pay to park but could not. Mattie, starving and looking forward to dinner asked his Mom for the money she had left over, wheeled over to them and gave them the money they needed . He had a big heart bursting in that little broken body. There are so many stories and I don't want to ruin the book for those of you who want to read it.
There were a couple of times that he was very near death and before he had passed he told his Mom. “Mom, promise me you will choose to inhale life, and not breathe simply to exist.” This stuck like glue to my brain!! I will never forget that.
“Don't worry about me Mom, Heaven is a wonderful place.”
A while after he had passed his Mom was going through his computer and his writings. She came across one file that said. “Dear Mommy”.....He wrote her a good-bye letter the night before he had his last “storm”. I can tell you I had to stop a couple times and take a break, but it was so intensely beautifully written. In my personal opinion, I think he knew when his time was coming. That letter must has been a bittersweet thing to read, but yet comforting for a Mother.
I bawled my eyes out during the entire book. It was like hitting a brick wall. What an amazing little boy. His story is incredible. It will change the way you think.
It's all about the simplicity in life.
Read It. You will be inspired.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I can't tell you how much I needed to hear about this story at this time in my life. I have been having some rocky weeks and I feel that I really need to get this book and read it. Sometimes you just never know what someone might say, or post :) that can be an answer to a prayer. Thank You!